I'm new to this list, but I thought everyone may be interested in hearing
about an interesting presentation- and maybe generate some comments:
a 19 y/o male was seen by a pediatric neurologist for 6 month history of
bilateral leg weakness.  EMG and NCV showed peripheral neuropathy.  He
came to the ER with worsening weakness and increasing thirst.  Blood
glucose was 750, urine was small ketones and >1000mg% glucose.  He was
not acidotic.  Apparantly this adolecent has had long standing DM
presenting with neuropathy!  Previous sinus surgery had shown "fungus in
his sinuses"  (we will contact the ENT tomorrow to get culture results).

Has anyone ever heard of neuropathy as the presenting complaint? and has
anyone ever heard of mucor in someone who is doing well and looks good?
I hope you find this interesting.
John Gaudet, M.D. (3rd yr ped resident at University of Mississippi)

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: