The FDA removed the last IND for IV albuterol several years ago when it
became clear that the drug company was not going to pursue a formal
application.

There are several reasonable alternatives, other than IV isoproterenol.
Besides high dose continuous inhaled albuterol, you could consider IV
ketamine (Howton et el, Randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled
trial of intravenous ketamine in acute asthma. Ann Emer Med;27:17-5).
And, even though it takes 12-24 hours before you see effects, there still
may be a place for theophylline in the very ill asthmatic patient (such
heresy! <G>)

Jeff

Jeff Linzer MD MICP
Division of Emergency Medicine
Egleston and Hughes Spalding Children's Hospitals