Urs App wrote: >... one must willy-nilly turn to Windows ...

What about Lennart Stafflins PSGML for EMACS?

Needless to say, this package cannot match a full-fledged commercial SGML
application. Still, there are some interesting features:

- EMACS works on a variety of platforms
- both EMACS and PSGML are free software (i.e., affordable also
  for your students)
- PSGML works with the TEI dtds, supporting
   - context dependent tag completion (showing a window with possible choices)
   - insertion of necessary sub elements
   - entry of attributes in a window displaying name, present value
     and data type
   - indentation
   - hiding of elements by folding , ..

Waiting for the release of xemacs v.19.14, which will combine a neat
interface with support for MULE extensions, I have begun using the psgml
package with emacs.19.21 in a cxterm window for my modest attempts at
tagging a buddhist text.- Except for my lack in scholarly expertise, it
works just fine!

The package may be obtained from "ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/sgml"..

Joerg Plassen
Student of Chinese Literature
at Hamburg University