In Message Mon, 4 Mar 1996 17:52:48 GMT+0100,
  Wendell Piez <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Whether you should favor A/E or WordPerfect depends on a number of
>factors. If you are only beginning with SGML, don't already have
>expertise in WordPerfect, and are producing files to be used in other
>SGML applications, Author/Editor might be the better choice. WordPerfect
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>might be better if you know and like the word processor, if you want to
>use the same program for markup and printing, or if you want powerful
>macros.

Ehhhh? What's _this_? I really wonder what WP/SGML edition is going to
be good for anyway when WP/SGML edition doesn't produce such material,
and this is not a slip of the tongue. One of the most relevant reasons
to allow a large overhead for SGML compliance to be build into your
wordprocessor (which in practice means to re-program the whole thing)
would be the exchange of the data to any other platform. In SGML, that
is.

>When working with richer flavors of the TEI, we've
>been 'pre-parsing' the DTD (using a PERL routine written by Greg Murphy
>and available for ftp at ceth.princeton.edu) into a single file (i.e. a
>long, flat DTD with no parameter entities); otherwise SoftQuad's
>RulesBuilder and WordPerfect's 'DTD to LGC' programs can have trouble
>compiling them.

As far as I have tried (and succeeded), A/E compiles ok. At least the 6
base sets with some additional tag sets, from the P3 files as
distributed, and not lite, and no pre-parsing required. The only thing
you needed to do is build a file of element declarations for elements
used but not declared.  See earlier mailings on this list -- there has
been a discussion about this bug in A/E, see "rulesbuilder" subjects.

Don't you just _hate_ preparsing? It's like: we did it wrong, but you can
most probably hack it right again :-)

Thanks for the message, anyway.

Arjan.
          Arjan Loeffen, Humanities Computing, Faculty of Arts,
               Utrecht University, The Netherlands.
      ++31+302536417 (voice work), ++31+206656463 (voice home)
            http://www.let.ruu.nl/C+L/loeffen/home.htm