I would like strongly to second David's suggestion -- I had considered
mentioning architectural forms in my last posting (perhaps it was to
tei-tech instead of tei-l...I cannot recall), but decided to keep things
simple.  To David's excellent points, I would add that James Clark's SP
parser now supports parsing and validation of SGML documents against
meta-DTDs (though I haven't tried it out yet), so the most important
tool is already in place.

Perhaps a good compromise solution would be to split the TEI into two
branches: a meta-DTD defining the architecture (but not the actual
elements) for a TEI application, and the existing TEI DTD's as a model
implementation of that architecture.

David
--
David Megginson                Department of English, University of Ottawa,
[log in to unmask]       Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1N 6N5