> |Is there a simple way of creating vowels with horizontal bars on top to
> |represent long vowels? And is there a way of making it appear on web
> |pages?

Apparently you are working on a language whcih uses a character
set other than iso-latin-1 (8859-1).

To input and edit such a language, i would like to suggest you use our
new Multiligual Text Editor "MtScript" which allows you to handle
a lot of languages (iso-8859-1 .. iso-8859-10, Chinese, Japanese, ...).

You can enter and display various characters with accents.

For the languages that we have already defined the keyboarding rules,
you can compose characters with accents by just entering the character
followed by the accent, e.g.:

- French:   e + ' -> e´
- Greek:    alpha + ' -> &aacgr;

You can download MtScript at:
     http://www.lpl.univ-aix.fr/projects/multext/MtScript/

But to make it appear on web pages, awaiting for the corresponding
browsers, you can use GIFs (:-)

I am attaching to my message the MtScript distribution announce.

Malek

---------- ANNOUNCING FREE SOFTWARE ALPHA RELEASE ----------

       *** ANNOUNCING FREE SOFTWARE ALPHA RELEASE ***

      MtScript - The Multext multi-lingual text editor

We are pleased to announce an alpha release of the multi-lingual text
editor developed within the MULTEXT project, which provides facilities
for creating and saving files in a wide variety of languages and
corresponding character sets. MtScript provides the following main
capabilities:

o the use of several different writing systems (Latin, Arabic, Cyrillic,
  Greek, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) in the same document;

o interspersing left-to-right and right-to-left writing systems
  (e.g. : Arabic - French - Hebrew - English);

o explicit association of portions of a text with a particular language;

o the definition of user-modifiable writing rules for each language;

o use of a standard keyboard for any language and character set;

o co-mingling of one-byte and multiple-byte character sets (ISO 8859
  series, GB_2312_80, BIG_5, JISX0208, KSC5601).

MtScript is freely available for non-commercial, non-military purposes
(see our User agreement). A compiled alpha version (v1.1) for Sun Sparc
stations under Solaris 1.x or 2.x can be downloaded from the URL

  <http://www.lpl.univ-aix.fr/projects/multext/MtScript/>

Note that MtScript is an alpha version with bugs and limitations It is
being distributed "as is" in order to solicit feedback. We invite the
user community to send comments and advice, provide additonal fonts,
help write language rules, etc.

Jean Ve'ronis
Multext project [log in to unmask]