>>Being not an emacs expert, I somehow managed to install psgml and it
>>works fine as long as no DTD is involved ...  However, when parsing the
>>TEI2.DTD, the psgml built-in parser gives the following error message in
>>the echo area:
>>
>>        Expecting a name; at: - O  (%n.tei

>    This looks to me very much as if your environment is not
>    file teigis2.ent, which is embedded by tei2.dtd right at
>    the start. If you don't have this file, or it's not
>    accessible to psgml, then you won't get very far!

I have Emacs running psgml and it works just fine, but I found I
needed to do the initial parse in the directory where all the DTD and
ENT files were: I have never mastered (or found any documentation) on
how to get psgml (or anything else) to turn FPIs into directories and
filenames in a meaningful manner.

Once you've constructed the <!doctype declaration right, and got all
your inclusions and exclusions working, and it parses OK, you can then
save the compiled DTD (a .ced file) with the command

M-x sgml-save-dtd foobar.ced

This means you can later edit anything else using the same setup by
invoking M-x sgml-load-dtd and giving the .ced filename, which loads
in a few seconds and avoids reparsing every time.

///Peter