Dear Peter Flynn and other readers,

Your answer to the extended-head-question scored twice, because the
value attribute of the <num>-tag provides a means to distinguish between
heritable values (such as the original chapter and section numbers of
the source) and countable instances of chapters and sections in the
automatically encoded version by means of global attibute 'n= ' inserted
in for instance:

A deviation between original chapter and section numbers
and counted instances of the electronic version is likely to occur
due to the following reasons:

1.   Inconsistent WP-encoding makes 'disappear' one of the
     chapter- or section headings: as a consequence this section isn't
     captured by the conversion-algorithm:
     So there are less headings in the converted document than chapters
     in the original.

2.   There is a first introductory chapter in the front matter.
     There will probably other reasons as well, I haven't run into yet.

You see this is not about text-critical re-editing of an original
source, but this is about automatic conversion of automatically
detectable WP-codes to TEI-format.

Might I please ask your opinion on another counting question (not
representing the original numbers by means of the <num>-value attribute
but counting instances by means of the global attribute 'n'):

  A book has, for example, ten big chapters, and each chapter has several
  sections, several subsections, and several sub-sub sections and so on.

Then there are two possibilities:

one can start and finish counting the sections and subsections per
chapter.

or:

one can continue counting sections and subsections etc. throughout the
book.

For the first book I choose counting per chapter. The only reason to do
so, was traditional text structure. But I think counting the different
sections and sub-sections throughout a book might be as well defended.
And that is what I did for a book with only some chapters having sub
sections.

I would be very glad to have your opinion on these counting-questions.

Thank you in advance.

Tilly

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tilly Dutilh - Email: [log in to unmask] - tel. +31 71 5272303
Instituut voor Nederlandse Lexicologie, P.O. Box 9515, 2300 RA Leiden
Matthias de Vrieshof 2-3, 2311 BZ, Leiden - Fax: +31 71 5272115
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx