              (itself a reply to
              Tilly Dutilh's of Tue 1996-07-23 15:42Z).

>   <head rend="centered"><distinct type="FooBarBoldExtended"
>    space="36/48pt"><num rend="roman uppercase"

If I understand T. Dutilh's request correctly, I consider the
encoding above not only not a good idea, but outright erroneous.

*   The renditional features of being bold extended and 36/48 have
    nothing to do with linguistic distinction, and thus use of the
    DISTINCT element is inappropriate. Even if it is appropriate,
    "BoldExtended" is not a type of linguistic distinction. See
    6.3.2.3.

*   I have always thought that the TITLE element refers to the title
    of *another* work, as in a bibliography or a passing reference,
    rather than to the *current* work, which would appear as the
    DOCTITLE on the title page and in the TITLESTMNT in the header. I
    suppose if a work mentions its own title elsewhere TITLE would be
    needed, but I am uncomfortable using TITLE for every chapter
    title. See 6.10.2.2.

Assuming the renditional information is important, I would use
something like:
    <head rend="align(center) weight(bold) size(36 pt) lead(48 pt)"
    id=head1>
    <num value="2">II</num>
    <lb>History of Encoding:
    <lb>Encoding hierarchically structured texts
    </head>
Or, if I specifically wanted to separate the various parts I might
use something like
    <head rend="get(id(head1))" type=main>History of Encoding:</head>
    <head rend="get(id(head1))" type=sub>Encoding hierarchically
    structured text</head>
I would really prefer that first line to be
    <num rend="get(id(head1))" value=2>II</num>
but NUM cannot validly be the child of a DIV.

Syd Bauman