On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Dan Liao,MD wrote:

> This is a good question. I've not done a literature search on the subject of
> mucosal lacerations, but it sounds like a very easy research project to
> construct. With the number of lip lacs a busy ED sees, one could easily
> create a small study of 10 patients in which the mucosal side is closed with
> vicryl and 10 patients in which the lac is left open. Follow these up  in a
> week and record the results. Then while this study is published as a
> preliminary report continue collecting data and include 100 patients with and
> 100 without repair of the mucosal side of the lac. The study could be
> accomplished within 2 years by an ED resident.
        Given the overrall low infection rate, your beta error would be
humongous, such a study would require hundreds of patients, there are
computer programs for determining sample size if interested.
        Bob
Robert McNamara,MD,FAAEM
Program Director, Emergency Medicine
Medical College of Pennsylvania and Hahnemann University
3300 Henry Ave  Phila,PA 19129
Phone 215-842-6548
Fax   215-843-5121

For help send e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: