I am working on the encoding scheme for an academic journal that is in
printed format. My current problem is with the bibliographies that
appear at the end of each article. For entries with an author as part of
the entry, no problem. My concern is for entries where the author is
implied by the graphic layout of the bibliographic items. For example:

Foobar, Edward. Funny Things in the Park. Cambridge, Alice's Press. 1995.

                More Things in the Park. Cambridge, Rabbit's Press. 1996.

In printed form, there is no doubt about the author of the second
article. But if I encode it as a separate <bibl> within the <listBibl>,
how do I encode the author information? (This is using TEI Lite.)  For
display with Panorama Pro or DynaText, the reader could simply scroll up
the page to find the author, much like the reader scans the printed page.
My concern is with the use of search software to isolate all the <bibl>
tags that contain <author>=Foobar.

One possible solution we have considered is to allow an attribute for the
<author> element within <bibl> of rend=implied.  I do not consider the
original text as defective so I lean away from <corr>. With our style
sheet we would make the <author> with the rend=implied invisible but it
would still be present for searching software.

Yes, we are trying to match the printed appearance to no small degree
(not my decision or preference) but it seems the implied author by
graphical arrangement would be a problem in any event.  Any suggestions
or better solutions to this problem?

Patrick

Patrick Durusau
Information Technology
Scholars Press
or
[log in to unmask] (I have been a list member longer than I have had the
Emory account, but either address will work.)