One other person who attended Jim Clark's talk had a quiet different
view of his attitude towards open standards, and pointed out to me that
I may very well have misquoted as well as misrepresented him.  In his
response to the question about the IETF:

> My memory of Jim Clark's words is a little different.  I recall
> him saying:
> "Standards don't drive volume, volume drives standards" in the
> sense that acceptance and use of a tool over a period of time creates a
> defacto standard.

The attendee also wrote me to say that he felt I distorted the spirit of
the talk as a whole, and Mr. Clark's response to my query about SGML in
particular, by suggesting that Mr. Clark dismissed SGML as unimportant.
Others felt that it just wasn't something that he thinks about,
something that isn't relevant to strategic business decisions.  It was
pointed out to me as well that, as far as open standards go, Netscape
complies with, amongst others, the CORBA standard for distributed
objects.

- Gregory Murphy