>The point is that TEI-L is for discussion of the TEI DTDs, which are
>intended exactly for such things as encoding antiquarian MSS.  Your
>posts to this list, while passed by the moderator, are off topic.
>
>On the other hand, they're entirely appropriate for comp.text.sgml
>and other mailing lists.  Posting only where appropriate keeps down
>the noise level everywhere.

As I've already pointed out to this person privately, the
/commonissues.html page at my site explains in quite considerable detail
exactly how the four access technologies in question deal centrally with
text. TEI does seem an appropriate forum. If the poster thinks my
messages are off-topic, that's a complaint to be addressed to the
moderator, not to me or the list.

                                        Joe Clark
                             <http://www.hookup.net/~joeclark>

gModerator's note:  the editorial policy of TEI-L is pretty simple.
Error messages and notes from vacation programs are not posted to the
list; spamming messages and invitations to sudden wealth or to intimate
correspondence with unknown persons of either sex are likewise
suppressed as being off-topic.  Quite frequently, notes are reformatted
to ensure that they display reasonably well on old-fashioned 80-column
terminals.  Occasionally, editorial suggestions are made to authors,
with a view to averting flame wars; even more occasionally (as in this
message) the moderator abridges a message without prior consultation
with its author.  Other than that, TEI-L carries pretty much what people
choose to send to it, and remains as close to an unmoderated list as is
feasible.  Those desiring a stricter editorial policy may certainly
attempt to persuade the TEI's editors that having one would be worth
the time it would take, but should not expect notable success in the
endeavor.  -CMSMcQ