Patrick,

I am sure that through the miracles of tagging  (-: , one could
eventually come up with a very elegant solution to this "problem" that
would enable one to retain the appearance of the printed text. However,
I feel very confident that once your colleagues have time to really
think this through, they will realize that the best possible solution is
to include the author's name in the <bibl> as text. It simply makes no
sense to have an <author> tag with no PCDATA.

Leaving out the name of the author in a printed bibliography makes sense
because the information is redundant when the citations are arranged
alphabetically, as is the convention in Print. In other words, there is
a more efficient method of indicating the author in Print. In TEI, I
believe print conventions should be retained as little as possible. They
only exist to indicate to the reader some textual or structural clue
(e.g., new paragraph, glossary term, city of publication). In TEI, we do
this instead with tags and their attributes, but the basic content, in
this case the name of the author, must be stated somewhere.

Good luck.

Greg