>(2) This is hardly an appropriate forum to take cheap shots at people
>doing serious research involving antiquarian (or other) manuscripts!
>
>Liam Quin, SoftQuad Inc

As I explained to Liam privately, those interested in antiquarian
manuscripts can go on doing their thing and I won't stand in their
way. However, in the computer industry there is a bias against
features useful to the real world. How many people *need* JavaScript?
And think of what Xerox PARC spends its time doodling away at. This
bias is particularly true in the realm of disability issues: Try using
QuickTime VR if you're blind.

Captioning, audio description, subtitling, and dubbing are at work
worldwide, make money, and are barely computerized. SGML will be
helpful in increasing the interoperability of all four media in all
their forms worldwide and may well earn a fair bit of money for
companies creating SGMLforAccess-compliant software-- unless, of
course, TIPSTER or something else seems more appropriate, or TIPSTER
experts take more of an interest in this underserved area.

                                        Joe Clark
                             <http://www.hookup.net/~joeclark>