I'm writing a book about TEI and SGML and I need to explain how to use
the element for the trascrption of primary sources.
I've noticed that the resp attribute has been defined sometimes as
CDATA and other times as IDREF. The Guidelines don't mention anything
about the necessity to link it to the ID of respStmt or similar
elements in the header. On the contary somewhare is stated that it can
contain a literal string describing tha nature of the responsible for
a particular encoding.

Having a look inside the DTD  I've seen that this double definition
is true. For instance the <sic> element has the following
declaration in the teicore2.dtd file:

<!-- 6.5.1:  Editorial tags for correction                    -->
<!ENTITY % sic 'INCLUDE' > <![ %sic; [ <!ELEMENT %n.sic;       - -
(%specialPara;)                    > <!ATTLIST %n.sic;
%a.global;
          corr               CDATA               #IMPLIED
          resp               IDREF               %INHERITED
          cert               CDATA               #IMPLIED
          TEIform            CDATA               'sic'          > ]]>

while the <corr> is declared as follows

<!ENTITY % corr 'INCLUDE' >
<![ %corr; [
<!ELEMENT %n.corr;      - -  (%specialPara;)                    >
<!ATTLIST %n.corr;           %a.global;
          sic                CDATA               #IMPLIED
          resp               CDATA               %INHERITED
          cert               CDATA               #IMPLIED
          TEIform            CDATA               'corr'         > ]]>

The two elements are simmetric and I can't see any reason to
distinguish the data type of their resp attribute. Is this a bug or,
if it is correct, what is the reason for this double form?

Another question concerns the <hand> element. It has an hand attribute
that should contain a "unique identifier, either numeric or alphanumeric, used
thereafter in the document to refer to this scribe or handwriting
style". Nontheless hand is declared as having a CDATA data type.
So the hand attribute of all the transcription elements, which is
declared as IDREF, can't refer to it, but must refer to the global
attrbute ID that the <hand> element can bear. Anyway this conclusion
must be inferred, since the Guidelines seem to support the idea that
the hand attribute of the <hand> element is the target. Sorry for my
obscure prose, but is not only my fault, since the homonimy is in
the TEI itself.
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Fabio Ciotti

Fabio Ciotti
CRILet, Dip. Studi Linguistici e Letterari
Universita' di Roma "La Sapienza"
P. Aldo Moro, 4
00100, Roma
Tel: ++39-6-49913463