On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:37:01 CDT Mavis Cournane said:
>In the Curia project we have declared the parameter entity for
>dictionaries TEI.dictionaries.  It parses completely, however, we don't
>get any <entry>, <entryfree> or any other dictionary related tags.  This
>is what we have done
>
><!ENTITY % TEI.corpus             'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % TEI.prose              'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % TEI.transcr            'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % TEI.textcrit           'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % TEI.names.dates        'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % TEI.linking            'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % TEI.figures            'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % TEI.dictionaries       'INCLUDE'>
>
>Are we missing some step somewhere?

Since TEI.dictionaries and TEI.prose are both base tag sets, they cannot
be combined in this way, and I'm surprised your parser does not throw a
fit, since this set of declarations by itself should result in the Text
element being declared twice, because both TEI Prose and TEI
Dictionaries will embed the entity TEI.structure.dtd (file teistr2.dtd),
which declares the text, body, group, and div elements.

You need to have either TEI.general or TEI.mixed declared as 'INCLUDE'
if you want to inlude multiple bases.  If you don't have them, and the
declarations you list really don't produce *any* error messages, then
something is wrong:  your parser is broken or it's not reading the right
files.

In general, however, it's unnecessary to use TEI.general or TEI.mixed in
order to combine two bases, if one of them is TEI.prose.  Since
TEI.prose doesn't define any tags not in the core or the default text
structure tag sets, it's simpler just to leave it out:  you won't miss
anything.

In other words, drop the line declaring TEI.prose, and keep the one for
TEI.dictionaries.

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen