> Captioning, audio description, subtitling, and dubbing are at work
> worldwide, make money, and are barely computerized. SGML will be
> helpful in increasing the interoperability of all four media in all
> their forms worldwide and may well earn a fair bit of money for
> companies creating SGMLforAccess-compliant software-- unless, of
> course, TIPSTER or something else seems more appropriate, or TIPSTER
> experts take more of an interest in this underserved area.

I suspect I'm the reason Joe has mentioned TIPSTER here; I suggested
it as an alternative to SGML/TEI which might be more appropriate for
the task at hand, given that SGML has sone difficulties with
time-aligned data (although Joe's WWW pages point to the <TIMELINE>
tag which I of which I was previously unaware <sigh> -- thanks Joe).

We have a foot here in both the SGML and TIPSTER camps (cf the GATE
architecture for text engineering:
 http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/research/groups/nlp/gate/
) so I wondered if anyone else has tried combining TEI tags with the
TIPSTER model?

Best wishes,

mmalc.

posn.   research facilitator
where   institute for language speech and hearing
        sheffield university
        west court
        2 mappin street
        sheffield s1 4dt