We bill for procedures that we believe need attending supervision (read
liability if something goes wrong). For example, LP, ABG, central lines,
conscious sedation are billed for, IV lines are not (nurses actually start
99% of them anyway)

Suturing is performed by suture techs operating under our direct, albeit
intermittent supervision, and operating under our license (again read
liability), with residents playing an assistant role, so we bill for that as
well...

Hope this is helpful

Jim Chamberlain
Emergency Department, Room 1450