I would like to poll those of you working in Pediatric Hospital EDs about
your Departmental/Hospital Policies regarding requirements for Attending
Physicians, BC/BE in Pediatrics and PEM to have updated and valid
certificates in ACLS, PALS and ATLS in order to have privileges in the ED.

ACEP has a policy stating that Board Certification in EM (adult) provides
sufficient expertize for physicians working in the ED and no other
certification should be required by Hospitals. How about us working in PEM?

I personally feel that if brain surgeons or orthopedic surgeons are not
required to pass 3-4 tests every 2 years in order to operate than we
should not be considered any differently in order to work in the ER.

By the way, Intensivists working at my place got around this problem
convincing Med Staff that "they are resuscitating children every day
therefore they do not need these certificates".

Thanks

Steven

Steven Szabo,M.D.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: