We currently take the same approach as the intensivists at your
institution, but there is a big push to institute these requirements ... I
believe coming from the insurance pool, etc. / KTF

At 10:22 AM 12/9/96, Steven Szabo wrote:
>I would like to poll those of you working in Pediatric Hospital EDs about
>your Departmental/Hospital Policies regarding requirements for Attending
>Physicians, BC/BE in Pediatrics and PEM to have updated and valid
>certificates in ACLS, PALS and ATLS in order to have privileges in the ED.
>
>ACEP has a policy stating that Board Certification in EM (adult) provides
>sufficient expertize for physicians working in the ED and no other
>certification should be required by Hospitals. How about us working in PEM?
>
>I personally feel that if brain surgeons or orthopedic surgeons are not
>required to pass 3-4 tests every 2 years in order to operate than we
>should not be considered any differently in order to work in the ER.
>
>By the way, Intensivists working at my place got around this problem
>convincing Med Staff that "they are resuscitating children every day
>therefore they do not need these certificates".
>
>Thanks
>
>Steven
>

>Steven Szabo,M.D.
>
>For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the
>message: info PED-EM-L
>The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
>  http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html

        Steven Lelyveld, M.D.
        Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine
        Director, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
        University of Chicago Children's Hospital
        5841 South Maryland - m/c 0810
        Chicago, Illinois 60637
        (773)702-9087 or (773)753-1880 pager#9333
        e-mail: [log in to unmask]
                                    \\|//
                                   |0 0|

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: