I have read with great interest the dialog regarding pediatric
intubations.  I am both a Paramedic and a Respiratory Care Practitioner
specializing in Neonatal critical care.  At my institution the NICU is
staffed with 2-3 RCP's which are all NRP certified providers or
instructor's.

With regard to the intubation issue I would like to mention that it is
the responsibility of the RCP to intubate all of our patients......from
the micro-preemies to the acutely ill term babies.  We change our ETT's
every week, we also attend ALL deliveries and sections, and are
responsible for airway management, including intubations, even with the
doc present.

As of yet I have not seen a physician intubate any of our
babies.......but that is not to say they are never more than a few steps
away if we have need!

Take care.......and Happy Holidays to all!

Rod Brock, RCP, EMT-P

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: