Hello,

Working with the TEI-guidelines and trying to apply them for coding
primary sources I had problems with some details. Maybe somebody could
enlighten me.

It is going to be a lengthy message (please accept my excuses for
that), so here is the agenda:

1) Incomplete example for the element <hand>
2) Status of legal attribut values vs. suggested values
3) Inconsistency between attribut definition of <del> and <delspan>
4) Inconsistency between attribut definition of <add> and <addspan>
5) How do I encode corrections, which belong together?
6) How do I encode a reordered sequence of words?

And now for something completely different:

7) What is the status of the working group concerned with
transcription and text criticism?

1) Incomplete example for the element <hand>

The example (106) in chapter 18.2.1. looks like this:

<handList>
<hand id=h  type='copperplate'  ink='brown'  character='regular'
  first='yes' resp='das'>
</handList>

As far as I can see this does not parse because the >attribute< hand,
which is required as an unique identifier, is missing. Or do I miss
something?

2) Status of legal attribut values vs. suggested values

In chap. 1.1.2 the notational convention for the difference between
legal and suggested values of an attribute is defined in a very concrete
way:

Other values (as the legal values) will cause SGML parsing errors.

In the reference part of the TEI handbook (chap. 35) the attribut >rend<
(element DEL) and the attribut  >place< (element ADD) are defined with a
set of *legal values*. But using different values does not produce a
parser error. Do I have a misconception of legal values or is it just a
handbook error and is supposed to be in both cases >suggested values<?

(BTW: Searching for >legal values< in the CD edition of the handbook
doesn't find the entries in chap. 35. Any explanations?)

3) Inconsistency between attribut definition of <del> and <delspan>

As far as I understood <del> and <delspan> are supposed to encode the
same text phenomena with the exception that <delspan> as an empty
element can cross element boundaries. So it seems logical to assume that
their attributes are identical (with the exception of >to<) and so Peter
Robinson does describe the two elements in his excellent >The
transcription of primary textual sources using sgml < (p.91). But in the
handbook the way to record the manner a deletion was made is described
differently for <del> and <delspan>:

DEL
ATTRIBUTE NAME: rend (i.e., rendition)
DATA TYPE: CDATA
LEGAL VALUES ARE:
subpunction  : dots below the line indicate matter to be deleted.
overstrike   : lines through the text indicated matter to be deleted.
[...]
ATTRIBUTE NAME: type
VALUE: any string identifying the class of deletion.
REMARKS: No recommendation of any particular typology is made here; to
record the manner in which the deletion is signaled, use rend, not type.

DELSPAN:
ATTRIBUTE NAME: type
LEGAL VALUES ARE:
overstrike : deletion indicated by line crossing out the text.
erasure : deletion indicated by erasure of the text.
[...]

As you can see in the case of <del> it is remarked to use >rend< and not
>type< while in the case of <delspan> exactly this use of type is
proposed.

4) Inconsistency between attribut definition of <add> and <addspan>

The problems with <add> and <addspan> are quite similar to those with
<del> and <delspan>.  Here is a shortened version of the handbook
definitions:

<addSpan> Attribut >place< Suggested values are:

place --    indicates where the addition is made. Suggested values
include:

  inline --    addition is made in a space left in the witness by an
               earlier scribe.
  supralinear --    addition is made above the line.
  infralinear --    addition is made below the line.
  marginleft --    addition is made in left margin.
  marginright --    addition is made in right margin.
  margintop --    addition is made in top margin.
  marginbot --    addition is made in bottom margin.
  overleaf --    addition is made on the other side of the leaf.

<add> Attribut >place< Legal values are:

  inline : addition is made in a space left in the witness by an
          earlier scribe
  supralinear : addition is made above the line
  infralinear : addition is made below the line
  left : addition is made in left margin
  right : addition is made in right margin
  top : addition is made in top margin
  bottom : addition is made in bottom margin
  opposite : addition is made on opposite page
  verso : addition is made on verso of sheet
  mixed : addition is made somewhere, one or more of other values

The attribut is the same but the suggested (or legal?) values differ.

5) How do I encode corrections, which belong together?

How can I relate two alterations of the text, if they obviously
belong together, without using <notes>:

The sentence

  I walked up the bright looking hill.

has been changed into:

I walked into the bright looking house.

Let us assume the change has been made by crossing out >up< and writing
>into< above the line and replacing the same way >hill< and >house<.  A
very simplistic coding looks like this

I walked
<DEL>up</DEL>
<ADD>into</ADD>
the bright looking
<DEL>hill</DEL>
<ADD>house</ADD>.

(This could be refined by using <app> and <rdg>.

But this way the mark-up wouldn't show that the both alterations are
actually only one change of meaning.  I assume you could record it this
way:

I walked
<APP>
<RDG><DEL>up</DEL> the bright looking DEL>hill</DEL></RDG>
<RDG><ADD>into</ADD> the bright looking <ADD>house</ADD></RDG>
</APP>.

But this would obscure the fact that only up/into and hill/house have
been changed. Also the use of the attribut varSeq does not help, as far
as I can see:

<APP>
<RDG varSeq=1><DEL>up</DEL> the bright looking
<DEL>hill</DEL></RDG>
<RDG varSeq=2><ADD>into</ADD> the bright looking
<ADD>house</ADD></RDG>
</APP>.

Is there a way to encode single steps of the correction process in a
concise way, which a stylesheet or some other tools could use to show
the process step by step?

6) How do I encode a reordered sequence of words?

I haven't found a way to encode in a short and precise way something
like this:

 7    8     9   1   2      3      4   5      6
He woke up in the middle of the night.

[The position of the numbers will differ according to the font your
mailreader uses. ]

7) What is the status of the working group concerned with
transcription and text criticism?

I think I remember some message about a working group which wanted to
rework the part of the TEI concerned with textual criticism and
transcription of primary sources. Is this project under way and how
do I contact one of the group members?

Please excuse again this lengthy message and the language. English is
very obviously not my mother tongue.

Any help and comments are very much appreciated,

Fotis Jannidis
Institut fuer Deutsche Philologie
LM Universitaet Muenchen, Germany
Schellingstr. 3 /RG * D-80799 Muenchen