From: [log in to unmask]

                   *               DRH 97                  *
                   *  DIGITAL RESOURCES FOR THE HUMANITIES *
                             St Anne's College, Oxford
                              14 - 17 September 1997

             "Bringing together the creators, users, distributors,
             and custodians of Digital Resources in the Humanities."

                  SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

                  *PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF TIMETABLE BELOW*

   Mission: DRH97 aims to become a new forum for all those affected by
   the digitization of our common cultural heritage: the scholar
   producing or using an electronic edition; the teacher using digital
   media in the seminar room; the publisher finding new ways to reach new
   markets; the librarian, curator, art historian, or archivist wishing
   to improve both access to and conservation of the digital information
   that characterizes contemporary culture and scholarship.

   Format: The conference will take up three intensive days of academic
   papers, panel discussions, technical reports, and software
   demonstrations, held this year in a comfortable Oxford college. The
   atmosphere will, we hope, encourage a lot of energetic discussion,
   both formal and informal. Leading practitioners of the application of
   digital techniques and resources in the Humanities, from the worlds of
   scholarship, librarianship, and publishing will be there, exchanging
   expertise, experience, and opinions.

   Sponsors: The conference is sponsored by the British Library, the
   Office for Humanities Communication, the Arts and Humanities Data
   Service, the Centre for Computing in the Humanities of Kings College
   London, the International Institute for Electronic Library Research of
   de Montfort University, the Library of University College London, and
   the Humanities Computing Unit of Oxford University.

|   Timetable: Proposals are now invited for academic papers, themed panel  |
|   sessions and reports of work in progress. Extended abstracts (1500 to   |
|   two thousand words) should be submitted by *May 2nd 1997*. Proposals    |
|   will be reviewed by an independent panel of reviewers, and              |
|   notifications of acceptance will be sent out by 13th June. All          |
|   accepted proposals will be included in the Conference preprint volume,  |
|   and will also be considered for a post-conference publication.          |

   Themes: creation of digital resources, textual, visual, and
   time-based; integration of digital resources as multimedia; policies
   and strategies for electronic delivery, both commercial and
   non-commercial; cataloguing and metadata aspects of resource
   discovery; implications of digital resources and electronic delivery
   for teaching, learning, and scholarship; encoding standards;
   intellectual property rights; funding, cost-recovery, and charging
   mechanisms; digitization techniques and problems.

   Cost and accommodation: The conference fee of 250 pounds covers
   lunches, dinners, and the whole academic programme. The conference
   banquet will cost an additional 40 pounds. For accommodation,
   delegates can choose between ensuite rooms at 45 pounds/day or
   study/bedrooms with shared bathroom at 30 pounds/day for B & B. All
   accommodation is in St Anne's College, in modern purpose-built blocks
   adjoining the quadrangle and within a few minutes walk of all
   conference facilities.

   Further information: The conference web site at
   http://users.ox.ac.uk/~drh97/ will be regularly updated, and will
   include full details of the procedure for submitting proposals, the
   programme, and registration information. Bookmark it now!