At 17:24 +0100 1997-03-24, Frans Wiering wrote:
>I was unable to
>find a Hebrew entity set. Is there anyone around who has one/knows where
>to find one?

Well, if you're into, or aspire to be into, Unicode, take a look at
<http://stimpy.allette.com.au/sgml/ercs/allent.htm>.  (Indeed, the whole
site is worth poking around.)  Even if you are into Unicode, you'll
probably find the entity names less than helpful: they're named for the
hex grid reference of the corresponding cell of the Unicode plane of ISO
10646...  Note that you don't have to have a Unicode-aware system to use
these entities, just something that can translate the entities to
glyphs for display (having due regard to directionality and so on).  I'd
hack it up in Perl, but you can name your own poison.

If you're not into Unicode, how about not using entities at all, coding
the Hebrew in ISO 8859-8, and bracketing the stuff in an element
that calls out a corresponding Writing System Declaration.  Again, you'd
need some software that trapped references to WSDs, and presented
elements accordingly.  Or, indeed, you could write the whole document in
8859-8 which, because it includes ASCII, is adequate for writing SGML
document instances for any European language, provided you don't mind a
liberal sprinkling of entities.  But this suggestion falls down as soon
as you want Arabic as well as Hebrew.

(Based solely on the top of my head and a few net searches.)

---
Dominic Dunlop