Rmay wrote:

> ... what about 'x' as 'sh'? There's precedent for that.

Yes there is:  Portuguese, older Spanish, and Pinyin-romanized Chinese. And
that's why, in some of my own creations (including Voksigid) I've used x
for the 'sh' sound. In fact I like it better than the c that Loglan/Lojban
uses.

For Novial, I prefer not to tamper with Jespersen's system out of respect,
unless there is a good reason (we're discussing the possibility of using 'c'
for [k], and there _is_ a good reason there, but I'm not sure it's good
_enough_ for me) but in languages of my own invention, I frequently use 'x'
for the 'sh' sound.

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                email: [log in to unmask]
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi