Kapitano Eglefino epenom:
>   Last week I was in London scouring the bookshops for book in and
> about Esperanto. I didn't have much success but I did find something
> odd.
>   One of the book that I did find, in the chapter on EO phonology,
> listed EO's diphthongs. One of these was 'OUX', pronounced, I
> think (the explanation was unclear), like 'o' in 'comb', 'tome',
> or 'phone'.
>   It said that this sound was 'extremely rare' and was 'not found in
> any of the words in this book'. Does anyone know anything about
> this?

I have only ever seen the combination "oux" in one word: "pouxpo" (poop
-- as in deck).  "Pouxpo" is in the John Wells dictionary.

There's nothing magic about Esperanto's diphthongs and the way they're
pronounced; "oux" is just pronounced "o"+"ux".  (This is not the case in
Ido etc., where "au" is not just "a"+"u".)  The sounds isn't really like
the "o" in English "pope" because in Eo the first element is an Eo [o]
(or [O] if you prefer) whereas in En the first element is more like [@].
The second elements differ too, but the difference doesn't matter nearly
so much.

In principle there's no reason why one shouldn't encounter "iux" as well,
or even "ij" and "uux".  However, since Latin and Greek only had "au" and
"eu" these are the only common "ux"-diphthongs in Eo.

-- jP --