In message  <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] writes:
[talking about the old EL verb compound system:]
> Hm, yes.  From a conlang standpoint, the old way was really cool, but it
> might not be so good for Eurolang.  OTOH, most of the languages which
> use "have" also use "be" in some cases, so it wouldn't be a completely
> foreign paradigm.

That doesn't really help, because although some langs conjugate the
perfect tenses of some verbs with BE and not HAVE, they still use
the equivalent of the Eurolang passive participle with them, whereas
the Eurolang form always uses the active participle (except for
passive forms whioch obviously use the passive participle).

> > > Quiz la utensils est tota temp noms fundamentae?
> >
> > No. For example:
> >    foto-aparat (n) camera
> >
> > Here the verb is:
> >    fac foto de (vt) take a photograph of
>
> I was unclear: I was asking if all utensils were fundamentally nouns,

The names of objects are all nouns. How could it be otherwise?

> and thus could be formed with the above paradigm.  Would "foto-aparate"
> be bad Eurolang, or just not the usual term?

It is good EL, but it is not the usual term (or at least not the term
I'd probably use).

> > > Me pense que la adjectivs fac plus bonae con "-a".
> >
> > Why?
>
> To me, -e is more of an adverbial ending or perhaps a nominal ending,
> depending on just which European languages we're talking about.  OTOH,
> -a or -i would be fine, I should think.

No major European language uses -i AFAIK. (Of course English uses -y,
along with a load of other endings). Adjectives often end in -e in
French, Italian and Spanish. In English they do in the endings -able
and -ive which I'd carry over into EL if I adopted this system.

> > > Di est isimae awkward.
> >
> > You think so? I think adding -i to -a or -o looks OK.
>
> My initial impression was just a sense of awkwardness, but I now further
> realize that the whole scheme is untenable because of your diphthongs--
> "ai" is /ei/, not /ai/.

I'd change the pronunciation to /ai/ if I did this.

> > > Plus bona que "di".
> >
> > If I used _ce_ I'd probably want to change the pronunciation so that
> > "c" followed by "e" or "i" is pronounced /s/.
>
> That's not a bad idea in any case.  afaik "c" hasn't been
> context-insensitive since pre-classical Latin.

True.

--
Phil Hunt. See <http://www.vision25.demon.co.uk/index.htm>
for info on Eurolang / Politics / Voting Systems / Basic Income.