To all:
We are trying to streamline radiologic evaluation of c-spine injuries here
at UNC.  The radiologists and adult ED folks feel that all children (under
age 16) with possible c-spine injuries should have 5 views (lateral, AP,
odontoid, flexion and extension) done to radiographically clear their spine
(we are a general ED with a Peds area run by pediatricians with interest in
ED but not fellowship trained)

This seems excessive to me unless suspicion of injury is high, but I have
limited clinical experience in this area.  Do others have protocols in this
area.  More importantly is there sufficient data in this area to answer
this question with evidence?  If the data is lacking, this seems like a
perfect opportunity for a relatively simple multicentered RCT.....

Any responses would be appreciated.
Clay

Clay Bordley, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine
Division of Community Pediatrics
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-7225

phone:       919-966-2504