Clay Bordley wrote:

> To all:
> We are trying to streamline radiologic evaluation of c-spine injuries
> here
> at UNC.  The radiologists and adult ED folks feel that all children
> (under
> age 16) with possible c-spine injuries should have 5 views (lateral,
> AP,
> odontoid, flexion and extension) done to radiographically clear their
> spine.

Clay,

If the patients are c/o neck pain, or there is reason to suspect a neck
injury, I would concur with the radiology department.  However, if this
was one of the precautionary c-spine protection that is required of our
paramedical staff, I would clinically clear or get the three view.

You are right, there is little evidence to base an approach on except
experience.

Ron

--
Dr. Ronald J. Brace, MD