Anyone have a feel for the reliability of pulse oximetry in infants?

We usually use the "bandaid" type  sensor.  I trust the "stick your finger
in here" type less.   I find myself having to deal with 95-96% readings
(obtained by the nurses as a routine "vital sign")  in children in whom I
have no clinical suspicion of hypoxemia.  Usually a child with a URI, often
less than a year, with either a chief complaint of cough or transient
respiratory symptoms that worried a parent, or URI and fever.  Without
tachypnea,  with clear lungs, and an apparently healthy child (with or
without the omnipresent otitis media)  I have not been pursuing the
"abnormal" reading.

Thoughts?

Ken Frumkin

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: