It is my understanding that Marianne Gausche from LA County is about to
publish a study in which children who were intubated in the field did not
have any improvement in outcome compared to those who got BVM airway
management. I do not know the details of study design, which is crucial,
of course. I have, through the grapevine, heard criticisms that stated
that in too many of the cases, the injuries or conditions were so severe
that the variety of airway management was unlikely to make a difference.
So we may once again be forced to rely on anecdote to justify our
practice.

Jay Fisher MD
Las Vegas NV

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: