Does anyone use, or know of any that use Dutton Speedwords actively
today? I have contacted a couple of folks who were into Speedwords to
one degree or another. One of the criticisms of Speedwords that I've
heard is that not enough people use it to make it worthwhile to learn.
In fact, others use this comment to promote one or another auxlang, I've
noticed. As in, "why should I learn an artificial languange when I could
learn a real one?" Also, "there is no one to practice, communicate with,
so why not learn a real language?"
In Speedwords, I have found that I learn it and use it daily since it is
also a "shorthand" system. Because of this one attribute I believe it
can be learned in totallity and never have once "talked" with another
Speedwordist. So, the practicality of it seems to me to overcome at
least one problem in learning another language, "real" or otherwise. It
is also said that it has problems in its use of affixes. Well, what
other language does not have any problem of some kind to work through?
Anyway, would appreciate comments on Speedwords if anyone has any.
Robert J. Petry, C.L.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2464