Comment...
Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Danny Wier:
[...]

> > > I'm kinda working on a universal Latin
> > > script, just for the purpose of ease in learning and not to replace =
traditional
> > > scripts.  This is a phonemic script; I don't like to use pure IPA ex=
cept to
> > > represent exact sounds.  I assign the basic 26 nondiacritical letter=
s to the
> > > most common sounds and use as few diacritics as possible as sparsely=
 as
> > > possible.  That's another story though.  (This alphabet I am also us=
ing to
> > > transcribe Tech, one of my five conlangs, which has somewhere betwee=
n three
> > > hundred and one thousand consonant and vowel phonemes -- or at least=
 sounds.
> Let me edit myself there and say that what I meant by "between three hun=
dred
> and one thousand phonemes", that all depends on where you draw the line =
> demark "phonemic status".  If one only considers primary articulation (l=
abial
> stop, dental nasal, velar fricative, palatal continuant, etc.) and not
> secondary articulations (palatized dental stop, velarized alveolar frica=
tive,
> laterally-released dental stop, etc.), obviously a lower number would be=
 more
> correct.  I however am maintaining a higher and seemingly incredible num=
ber
> because of secondary articulations.  I'm saying this since a few members=
 of
> both lists was understandably curious about my claim of inventing a lang=
uage
> with a thousand sounds (and even giving most of them phonemic status), a=
nd I am
> making efforts to simplify the phonology to a more reasonable number say=
> five hundred ;-)
i left out "o" because americans would have made it into "a"... ;)
try the word STOP and think about it.

french "r", american or scottish? (the silent one is a no-no)
"e" or "=E4"? there's plenty of room for variation... there should be.

> > > had to borrow a few letters from Greek and use some unusual Latin le=
tters for
> > > this.)
> > I cut the number down to 16+4 in bastard, transscribed as
> > b d f g h k l m n p r s t v x y   a e i u
> > and used x as sh (instead of ks).
> > That felt enough for a simple language.
> I've been debating on whether or not to assign "x" to either /S/ or /x/ =
myself;
> I decided on "x" for /x/ and "s" caron for /S/ (caron marks all postalve=
olar
> fricatives and affricates) for Tech transcribed into Latin characters.
i needed a single symbol for the sound and x was already covered by k
and s...

> Just for curiosity, will the letters "c", "j", "o", "q", and "z" be used=
 for
> anything, like foreign words?
Not in bastard, no. Why?

BTW, z came closest to be included, but i already had s and x...

> > Bastard is used without punctuation, and consonants double as
> > numerals 0 to F. The structure of the language allowed that and there
> > are some hidden benefits.
> A hexadecimal numeric system!  I could be wrong, but didn't the Egyptian=
s use a
> sort-of binary (or maybe base-2-to-the-power-of-anything) system for fra=
ctions
> especially?
Quite frankly, i don't know... But we use binary and hexadecimal more
today, because of computers.

Bastard can be used with any number base between 2 and 16, with
the same part-of-number markers, i might add...
[...]

> Well, look at me, an East Texas hillbilly with little college much less =
> linguistic degree, and I'm here!
...i'm still here too.

pasi.