On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Don Blaheta wrote (excerpt):

>                                 I'm not sure about them--presumably some
> revived form of Classical Chinese would cover all the Buddhist areas,
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well, not quite.  Millions upon millions of Theravada Buddhists
have *never* had Classical Chinese as their canonical religious
language.  It was and remains Pali, an IE prakrit related to Sanskrit
(and many or most of the originals of the Mahayana Buddhist writings
preserved in Classical Chinese were originally composed in Buddhist
Hybrid Sanskrit).

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart