I received about 10 responses to the question of whether non-PEM boarded or
board eligible physicians ar providing sole coverage in Pediatric EDs-
thanks to those who responded!  In summary, most programs seem to be having
trouble staffing as they would like (not too big a surprise...).  Although
2-3 programs may use a non-PEM MD with "significant experience" to provide
primary coverage, most programs did not.  Non-PEM MDs often provided second
attending coverage or urgent care coverage.  It sounds like there was no
clear consensus about this, but there was a general feeling that if at all
possible, only PEM physicians should provide the main coverage.

Personally, I'd agree with the concept of only using PEM boarded or board
eligible physicians to provide primary ED coverage in children's hospitals.
However, my sense is that the reality is that at times, especially with
system expansion, that may be difficult.  Any other thoughts on this topic
would be welcome.....

Emory M. Petrack, MD, MPH
Director, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Rainbow Babies and Childrens Hospital