>Our hospital is going through a continuous improvement process. Ofcourse
>the first task they have undertaken is to evaluate manpower needs based
>on patient volumes. Once completed the study showed that we were
>overstaffed (never really felt that way), and projected a need to reduce
>staff ...

In our hospital, the buzzwords 'patient care redesign', 'quality improvement'
and the like are, in fact, double-speak phrases that are often
incomprehensible slabs of jargon pasted together to give the impression that
the administration actually is trying to make some sense of the trends in the
modern, managed medical care milieu.

When I actually tried to read through one of our Administrator's
pronouncements on how "patient care redesign" was focussing on 4 future goals
(served by 4 comittees), I was completely unable to sort through the
gobbledygook. Then I had an inspiration. I reversed the meaning of each word
or key phrase. Thus, the committee charged with 'redesigning access' to tests
and technology meant that there was going to be severe restrictions placed on
who could or could not receive certain tests or procedures.
   Similarly, the committee that was going to redirect the flow from unit to
unit meant that it was going to, in the future, be that much harder to find a
middle-level nurse or administrator to OK a transfer from the Psych floor.
   Finally, the committee charged with quality of care re-evaluation meant
that there were going to be a lot fewer nurses and a lot more people with
low-level "degrees" going top be given a lot more responsibility for things
they probably shouldn't be responsible for. And, by implication, jobs would
be downsized.

I know this really has little to do with PEM, but this was a revelation: I
was able to read through this memo and finally understand how to be an
administrator: wear sunblock.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: