Regarding etomidate - I am unaware of any studies in this area, but at a recent
trauma anesthesia meeting, I heard a pediatric anesthesiologist recommend its
use for RSI in the hypotensive pediatric trauma patient.  However, there is some
concern regarding the use of etomidate with respect to adrenal cortical
suppression, so much so that there reportedly is a study on-going at Shock
Trauma in Baltimore looking for evidence of clinically significant
hypocortisolemia (they reportedly believe it is a significant problem).

C. Havel, MD
PEM Fellow, Medical College of Wisconsin

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: