--------------D2868D155239BB684B6A38B8

Yesterday (August 14) I saw a 13 yr. old Black Male who awoke from sleep
and was hyperventilating. He had classic carpal-pedal spasm, peri-oral
numbness and actually 'passed-out' once per EMS, without resolution of
the Hyperventilation upon awakening.

No other Med HX, Denied meds or drugs. PE was unremarkable.

A colleague of mine disagreed with the rebreathing method the EMS had
attempted quoting Rosen's who states it can be dangerous. I felt
otherwise, despite Rosen's text and thought in a patient with no risk
factors for PE, Spontaneous PNTX, CVD or CVA the rebreather method is
safe.
What do you think? Do you use rebreathing (paper bag)?

The patient was able to get control with soothing encouragement and
engaging him in a conversation over about ten minutes.

Ron

--------------D2868D155239BB684B6A38B8

begin:          vcard
fn:             Ronald J.  Brace M.D.
n:              Brace M.D.;Ronald J.
org:            Womack Army Medical Center
adr:            Department of Emergency Medicine;;(or) 261st ASMB, Delta Co.;Ft. Bragg;NC;28306;USA
email;internet: [log in to unmask]
title:          Education Coordinator and Staff Physician
tel;work:       910-432-0301
tel;fax:        910-432-4750  (Work)
tel;home:       Listed
note:           BC EM Physician.