How about times from door entry to triage to physician evaluation?  Average
wait time per patient based on acuity?  Number of patients who leave
without being seen, and follow-up of their outcome?

        Steven Lelyveld, M.D.
        University of Chicago Children's Hospital
        5841 South Maryland - m/c 0810
        Chicago, Illinois 60637
        (773)702-9087 or (773)753-1880 pager#9333
        e-mail: [log in to unmask]

At 17:58 -0700 8/13/97, Naghma wrote:
>Our hospital is going through a continuous improvement process. Ofcourse
>the first task they have undertaken is to evaluate manpower needs based
>on patient volumes. Once completed the study showed that we were
>overstaffed (never really felt that way), and projected a need to reduce
>staff to 4 care providers (2 RN's, 1Paramedic and 1 resp therapist)
>between 3AM to 11AM. Their duties will include triaging, nursing care,
>and providing leadership. We are a tertiary care center, take level one
>trauma, a volume of 36,000/year, 17% admission rate. Only 15% of the
>patients present to the ED between 3AM to 11AM.
>What indicators should I use to measure the minimal safe staffing at any
>given time.
>1.      How low does the staffing in your ED's go.
>2.      What is the average cost per patient in your ED
>3.      Do you maintain a certain physician: caregiver ratio
>Naghma
>
>For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the
>message: info PED-EM-L
>The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
>  http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html

        Steven Lelyveld, M.D.
        Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine
        Director, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
        University of Chicago Children's Hospital
        5841 South Maryland - m/c 0810
        Chicago, Illinois 60637
        (773)702-9087 or (773)753-1880 pager#9333
        e-mail: [log in to unmask]
              \\|//
              |0 0|

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: