Quoth R. Skrintha:
>  The question particle in Skt is "vaa" or "api"! Perhaps Hindi comes
> close to "ka": with "kyaa", which actually means "what?":
> [...]
> If it intrests, Russian uses "li", which is put immediately after that
> word which is brought under question & not necessariy at some fixed
> postion in the sentence.

I feel obliged to post the relevant quote from AIL, to avoid duplication
of information (available on http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames/AILprt.html):

  It is necessary to have a particle indicating question, i.e. those
  questions which are not introduced by an interrogative pronoun or
  adverb, like Who? What? When? How? --in other words for those
  questions which my Philos. of Grammar are termed nexus-questions, and
  which generally demand Yes or No in the answer. Word-order with
  preposed subject (as in E "Are you ill?") cannot well be used in an
  IAL; and it is evidently best to have one and the same particle in
  direct and indirect questions (he asked if, or whether, you were ill).
  The difficulty is to find a particle which is at once natural and
  unambiguous.=20

  Zamenhof took his native Polish word czy, only modifying it to cxu.
  Ido went far away to Sanskrit to find ka, which, by the way, does not
  seem to be used in Sanskrit in exactly the same way; it might have
  been mentioned that Japanese has an interrogative particle ka, only
  placed at the end of the sentence (Edwards, It. phon. de la L. Jap., =A7
  135); Finnish, too, has an enclitic -ko, -k=F6 to denote questions. Occ
  uses E if in dependent questions; this is not good as it may be taken
  to mean condition. Russian li (postponed) is out of the question.=20

  There is, however, one word in a well-known language that seems to me
  to fulfil all the requirements, namely D ob. This at first was used in
  dependent questions (wer weiss, ob er kommt), but is now used pretty
  often in direct questions as well (Ob er kommt?). I propose in Novial
  to use the same word in both applications: Ob lo veni? Does he come?
  Que sava ob lo veni? It may even be used put twice (as Z uses cxu . .
  . cxu) to denote two alternatives (Ido from L sive . . . sive), as in
  rendering Goethe's "Er liest es jedem froh und laut, Ob es uns qudlt,
  ob es erbaut!" Lo lekte lum a chake lautim joyosi, ob tum jena nus, ob
  tum edifika nus. Ob vu silentia, ob vu parla, on sal blama vu, whether
  you say nothing or speak, they will blame you.=20

--=20
-=3D-=3D-=3D-Don [log in to unmask]@=
aol.com-=3D-=3D-=3D-
The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the
poor, to sleep under the bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal
bread.                                             -- Anatole France