Dear all,

A few days ago I posted an idea I'd had to the list, in order to seek the
opinions of others.  I didn't expect the amount of criticism I have
received, simply for suggesting that the points of agreement between a
number of schemes of world-language be brought together and codified.
The problem seems to me now, after some reflection, to be that there
are others on this list who are interested in something actually
fundamentally distinct from what I am interested in.

So therefore I am making the following declaration:
I declare myself wholly uninterested in the task of building an auxiliary
language which is not based on a continental European orthography, which
does not have an essentially West-European style grammar, and the
vocabulary of which is not based to a large extent on European languages,
which vocabulary forms the basis of science, the arts and European
culture generally.

Please note that this does not mean that I am not interested in the
efforts of others who might attempt such a thing; it simply says that
I myself, at least at the present moment in time, have no interest in
working to construct a globally based IAL.
Nor am I condemning the idea: I believe that it has its own value and
potential, but it is not what I am interested in, because it is clear
to me that a language constructed on the lines suggested by some
others on this list can never be accepted for everyday use by the
Western, or probably indeed global, scientific and political worlds.

What I am interested in doing, therefore, is working towards a definitive
IAL in the tradition of Ido, Novial, Occidental and Interlingua (and
others).  I believe that this is where my time will be best spent, but
I am not criticizing others who might wish to set about an ambitious
project to bring all the major languages of the world into the picture.

I would imagine that any future globally-based interlanguage might
have the following features:
1. The orthography would be chosen so as to present no major difficulties
  to any major linguistic group.
2. The grammar would be selected on the same basis as Interlingua, but
  over all the world's major languages: if a grammatical feature is not
  present in all the languages concerned, then it should not appear in
  the interlanguage.  Obviously if the non-inclusion of any particular
  feature caused insuperable difficulties, perhaps because the language
  which lacks it uses rather complex methods to make up for it, then
  logical and practical considerations should decide.
3. The language would be entirely isolating, as is Glosa (although I'm
  not sure whether the possibility of hyphenation in Glosa constitutes,
  strictly speaking, an exception to isolatingness).  The root words
  would not be made to fit any particular pattern, but the most often
  used particles should be kept short.  Some attempt may be made to
  ensure that many of the roots end in vowels, for instance by using
  word-group marking, if that is found to be compatible.
4. The vocabulary should be chosen so as to be highly recognizable, and
  could draw from a wide variety of the world's languages, so long as
  the roots fit well into the chosen orthography.

So that is how I see a global IAL.  I just have no interest, myself,
in working towards one, not least because the task is obviously a
daunting one, and we are probably at about the same stage with it as we
were with the idea of a European-based IAL in 1887.
Both types of language could co-exist: they would serve different
purposes.  If a language of the type just described could not be
accepted, as I believe it could not, by the European and American
powers, and by the scientific and techincal communities (it would
mean, after all, largely abandoning the already extensive European-
based scientific and technical vocabularies), then it may still find
other areas where it can be accepted.

So, now that other people, and I myself, have a clearer idea of what I
am proposing to do, and how it fits into a bigger picture, I hope I
can report on the progress I am making from time to time, without
being flamed from head to toe.

James Chandler.