[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
 http://adam.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/home.html

> What does Interlingua use?

[answers within the quoted text, following ***]
-------
> de: James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
> a: Multiple recipients of list AUXLANG
> Sujeto: Ido "ka"
> Fecha: lunes, 13 oct 1997 10:24 AM
>
> Don Blaheta skribi
[...]
> Occidental has "esque" (pronounced I think [eskwe]) as the
> question-word.  This is obviously inspired by the F "est-ce que",
> which I find more elegant in F than inverting the word-order (I don't
> know how the French regard it!).  I rather like the idea of "eske" for
> Ido.

***Spanish has "es que" pronounced as "es ke". And
Interlingua uses "an, es que" of which "an" is from
the Latin and "es que" from modern romance and is
pronounced "es kwe".

> This is actually logically built up from "es" and "ke", in the
> same way as Nov "poves" from "pov" and "es", but causing fewer problems.
> [I at first thought this N form was either a misprint or a plural,
> though to be fair J also gives "forsan" in the Lexike.  "Pov-es"
> with a compulsory hyphen would be much, much better.]

***Interlingua has "forsan, potesser" which the second of
the two sounds like its akin to Spanish "puede ser".

> Also compare Ido "depos" = since, from "de" = from and "pos" = after,
> though Jespersen thinks this to be logically incorrect (AIL p.158).

Oooo... I dunno, but in Interlingua "depois, depost"
is indeed after, like in Spanish "despues" and
Portuguese "depois", etc. --all for "after".

> Note that there seems to be a tendency in language for a question-
> word to be introduced to keep the word order the same, as in F
> "est-ce que" and E "do", "did" in interrogative phrases.  What does
> Interlingua use?

*** Glad to be of service... Since, Jay B.