Don sed:

>Quoth Michael Walker:
>> My former E-o instructor, a few yrs back, spoke of a suffix
>> beginning to gain popularity @ that time.  It was meant to be a
>> co-equal of "-ino" for the female suffix.  The suffix in question
>> was "-ic^o" ("-icxo", "-icho"), taken from the Slavic family of
>> natlangs.  My understanding that this was a response to the
>> objection of having neutral words be masculine, and only adding
>> suffixes to denote the feminine gender.  The other possibility was,
>> of course, the prefix "viro-".
>
>I thought that "icx" was taken as related to "in" analogously to the
>diminutive "nj" and "cxj".

Of course that was one of the reasons that the "-icx-" suffix was considered
such an elegant solution.  It fit into the pattern of male/female
affectionate suffix.  As I recall there was/is a competing suffix (I can't
remember what it was off hand) as well as two competing new pronouns, "sxli"
and "ri" which are used if gender is immaterial or unknown.

Who says Esperanto doesn't change??????

--
Dan McGinn-Combs
Atlanta, Georgia