On Oct 8,  2:00pm, Kapitano Eglefino wrote:
> Subject: Reductive Grammar
>    The current trend in IAL proposals seems to be toward what
> might be termed 'Maximal Syntactic Simplification'. My question is:
> how far can this go?
>
>    Say we begin with a sentence in Esperanto:
>           La hundo nigra cxasis rapide katojn blankajn.
>           (The black dog rapidly chased white cats)
>
>    Firstly, we can remove tense and number markings. This gives:
>           La hundo nigra cxasi rapide katon blankan.
>
>    Next, replace the -N ending with an accusative preposition, and
> while we're at it, introduce a nominative preposition, and make
> articles optional:
>           Bai hundo nigra cxasi rapide Na kato blanka.  OR
>           CXasi rapide Ba hundo nigra Na kato blanka.  etc.
>
>    The adverb -E ending can safely become -A:
>           Bai hundo nigra cxasi rapida Na kato blanka.
>
>    This leaves us with three word classes - Noun (-O), Verb (-I),
> and Adjective/Adverb (-A). However, in parallel with the loss of
> the Adverb/Adjective destinction, we can remove the Verb/Noun
> destinction, with the introduction of a preposition which
> preceeds a verb clause:
>           Bai hundo nigra Du cxaso rapida Na kato blanka.

This is basically having similar gramatical inflexions as Esperanto,
but coding them as separate words. If the 'bai', 'du', 'na'
particles are non-optional (which it looks like to me), then
they are gramatical inflexions, so the grammar is not really
simplified very much. Although IMO it is easier to learn the grammar
if the grammatical morphemes are written as separate words rather
than attached to the semantically-full morphemes when writing,
because this helps the learner separate them mentally. Similar-ly,
it is help-ful if compound word-s are hyphen-at-ed.

>    What else could be simplified? Well, how about removing the
> Head/Modifier destinction? This might give:
>           Bai hunda nigra du cxasa rapida Na kata blanka
>
>    Of course, now we have no need for grammar-coding at all, so
> the word-class suffixes can be removed:
>           Bai hund nigr du cxas rapid na kat blank

This implies a fixed noun-adjective word order. Otherwise it could
mean "the dog-like black thing...".

--
Phil Hunt                   [log in to unmask]
Oyster Systems Ltd    http://www.oyster.co.uk