> What precisely is the distinction between, on the one hand, Bu"chse or Schachtel
> in German, and on the other hand, Kasten or Kiste?
>
> And analogously, what precisely is the distinction between boi^te and caisse in
> French?

Ah, natlangs.. :.) I think (if my HG is up to par) that "Kasten" is a bigger size
box, whereas "Kiste" is like a chest. I could be wrong...I'm reaching conclusions by
switching the words to their Plattdeutsch form. In PD you would use "Kausten" for
big boxes, usually coolers and the likes. A "Kjist" would usually be a wooden chest,
but it could also be used (i suppose) for a box. In general, though, (like Dutch) we
use "Doos" for box.I may be wrong, but I think boi^te is like "box" (or can, if I
remember right), and that "caisse" is more of a chest. I've no idea about Bu"chse or
Schachtel. If anyone has any comments, I'd be glad to hear them.

Chris Cox