My main interest as auxiliary languages go is Interlingua. This is because
I have found that I can use it to a surprising extent in the region where I
live. It is therefore somewhat surprising that Esperanto supporters cannot
write in their favorite language and that Idoists cannot use Ido as well as
Interlingua users cannot use their language in this list.

On a general level there appears to be two kinds of approach when we want
to inform about an auxiliary language.

The first one is that we try to inform the surrounding world about our
language and then we try to arrange courses of instruction in it.

The second option is to use your language to those who do understand it. In
my experience this works with Interlingua. I am confident that I can use it
in contacts with educated people here in Europe. I bet that one should be
able to write in interlingua to the editor of a Swedish or Finnish
newspaper, and they would understand your Interlingua text. If I have done
this for propaganda purpuses there is little use trying to argue about the
merits of Interlingua as opposed to Esperanto - they just are not qualified
to judge this thing.

Then one has to resort to the political option, and then one has to be
charismatic and a very convincing person. This does not say anything about
the "product" we are advertizing. Rasputin for one was a very charismatic
person and a very convincing one at that. But his products....

When on the other hand the approach is purly linguistic, I think it is
impossible to pass judgements about a language that one cannot even
passively understand.

I therefore would like to suggest that everyone may write in the language
of his choice and it is his/her matter to decide if and in what extent and
to whom he wants to make himself understood.

This could also be very interesting, because you will see the various
languages in action. The English-speaking members of this list are using
their mother tongue. Many of us non-americans have other mother tongues and
we have to sweat a lot more in writing in English than in e.g.
Interlingua...

The very idea of auxiliary languages is that one should use them in
international communication. So why not here?

I am going to write some messages in Interlingua or Esperanto as I can
think better in those languages.

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87