Alicia wrote:
>In regards to Kjell's email I am sorry to hear that Sweden has stopped
>teaching the international vocabulary at the school level.
>It would seem to me a great benefit for a generation to be exposed to
>the skills that may help them better enter the fields of international
>commerce, sciences and education.

As far as I remember the subject was introdused in the 60's. It appears to
have been intended for teachers of Latin so that they could continue their
employments. Latin was decreesing in high schools (which I use to translate
Swedish _gymnasium_).

There was no such instruction in my time. I think I would have liked it, as
I took Classical Latin, but I lost foolishly enought interest in it as we
were not supposed to speak it ;-) - there was only reading and writing.

>Kjell you seem to have favored this form of instruction, did you grow up
>in Sweden, and if you did, were you exposed to the international
>vocabulary in this way? Sounds like some liked it as much as studying
>classical Latin, this is too bad, I feel that studying classics gives a
>good foundation, adding international vocabulary would be a great
>improvement on education.

My daughter studied in the Gymnasium when the International Vocabulary was
taught in there.  She told me that it was too theoretical, according to
what she had heard.

Some years ago I was teaching Swedish to immigrants among whom many came
from Africa. Their English was excellent, as far as I can judge, but I
remember that on occations I tried to analyze Swedish words as contrasted
to English - like defoliation vs avlo=A8vning. And to them _defoliation_ was
like the word _moccasin_ to me, I know what it is but I don't know how to
analyze it.

In the International Vocabulary subject, according to one of the textbooks
used, there were exceprts in Esperanto and Interlingua.  As for Interlingua
I know it was used in the teaching of the subject in order to make the
studying more - entertaining.

I think it was a great mistake to abollish the subject. I suspect there
were some educational policy tricks of some kind.

All European languages that I know of have a very strong relationship to
the international vocabulary -even Finnish and Icelandic. I think you all
are well aware of the fact that these languages build their vocabulary with
their own language material by translating the international morphemes
according to certain rules.

Swedish is more like German, it takes in the foreign words and standardize
them somthing like this: Finansministern protesterar mot oppositionens
politik (if you know that the final -(e)n in _ministern_ is definite
article like _the_ in English,  _mot_ means _against_, the second word is a
verb and that the -s marks the genitive case like 's in English you can
read the sentence without difficulty as The minister of finance protested
against the politique of the opposition.

The bottomline being that teaching of the international vocabulary is a
very useful thing.

By the way Swedish and German use the Latin roots like in _act_ like this:
Interlingua: ager
English: act
Swedish: agera
German: agieren (both the Swedish and German words meaning to act in a play
or in a political or legal matter).

Influence from English seams to breake that uniformity like in _selektion_,
_selektering_ (I have nearly on all occations heard that word in the
context of concentration-camp prisoners being selected - to the gas chamber
or life). English _select_ is translated with Swedish word material in my
Comprehensive English-Swedish dictionary.

Hoping this is what you wanted to know. :-)

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87
S-752 64  UPPSALA