At 07:37 PM 12/25/97 +0200, Allan wrote:
>Paul O Bartlett wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Allan Kiviaho wrote (excerpt):
>>
>> > Salute, Bob e le alteres!
>> >
>> > *******************************
>> > Io vota pro Interlingua de IALA
>> > Allan
>> > *******************************
>> >
>> > Io heri univa me al gruppo AUXLANG.
>>
>> Allan:
>>
>>     The primary language for discussion on AUXLANG is English.  If
>> you write in an auxlang, it is customary to include a translation.
>>
>>     Le lingua primari de discussion in re le lista AUXLANG es anglese.
>> Si on scribeva utilisante un lingua auxiliar, le costume/derecto es que
>> on include un traduction.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
>>  [.................]
>
>Gentlemen,
>
>Please accept my apologies. I believed that everybody in
>this group can read Interlingua as well as Esperanto, Latino
>sine Flexione, Ido, Occidental and many others. But of course
>there can be auxiliary languages that are comprehensible for
>a small group only.

*       In previously Anglophonic Australia, this is not the case!  We are now,
of course, "multilingual," but this doesn't mean I have absorbed the other
language by osmosis.  I prefer the learning by example approach, as
demonstrated by Paul.

>Many of us in the continental Europe see as the raison d'etre
>for the auxiliary languages preventing the total hegemony of
>English.

*       Is this sufficient motivation to get the Auxiliary Language Hypothesis
moving in Europe?  I suspect not; osmosis from American television and
films is, I fear, however, forcing American English into Europe.

>Paradoxally, it may be so that even the Americans will soon
>be in a desperate need of an auxiliary language because the
>number of Iberoamericanos is growing rapidly, so that their
>number can exceed 50 percent some day, 25 pc at least in the
>not too distant future. Tha "Spanglish" is threatening the
>English language. The most natural auxiliary language for
>all Americans were Interlingua. It would save the English
>language for the anglogermans in the U.S.A.

*       My understanding of the conservatism inherent in the U.S. powerbase,
makes me feel that World Language Reform is least likely to start in
America.  The Americans have changed English simply to prove their
difference; I would say that a number of new words have originated in
America, but I don't have the feeling that language, in general, has
progressed because of the changes that the Americans have made to English.
        And with "lean government' combined with allowing "market forces" to act
as the innovative pump, I cannot see any concerted governmental action to
oppose "Spanglish" or to promote Interlingua.

>Now I will leave for a deep snowy forest for a couple of
>days to continue our Christmas celebrations.

*       Enjoy.  In Sydney, we celebrate with bushfires in the surrounding forests.

Saluta,
 Robin