Je 02:16 ptm 12/29/97 +0000, Philip HUNT skribis:

>On Dec 26, 10:03pm, Kjell Rehnstr=F6m wrote:
>> French is the official language in former French colonies in Africa in=
 the
>> same way as English is the official language in many former Brittish
>> colonies. In the former Portuguese colonies it is Portuguese and then you
>> have still some Spanish. In South Africa it is English and Afrikaans.
>
>IIRC South Africa has 8 official language, the 2 you mentioned above,
>some of the Ngoni langs (Xhosa and Zulu and I think some others), and
>I think one of the Khoisan langs.

I vaguely remember my local paper quoting a figure of 12 official
languages, but they could have exaggerated. Maybe they meant "major"
languages. Of the twelve, by number of speakers Afrikaans was quoted as
being in sixth place and English in ninth.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/